East Nasty meets every Wednesday, year round, for a run at 6pm (and also at 6am). The 6pm evening run is is our ‘main event’ and the best way to get plugged into the group. Rain or shine, hot or cold – we run. There is nothing to sign up to participate, no email list to join – just show up, listen for your appropriate pace group, and run. We meet at the corner of 11th and Holly in East Nashville. Each week there is a 3-6 mile route. We have 12 different runs that we follow sequentially. You can find links to maps of each route over in the right side menu column on this website. Check the blog posts on the main page of this site each week to see which route we are running. All running abilities welcome, but most of our runners can at least run a 11 minute mile. If you’re slower than that, please come, just make sure you partner up with someone for safety – or run with our ‘Lasty Nasty’ group at 5:45pm (the Lasties are our walk/run group that starts before the main group). There are usually over 150 runners on any given Wednesday evening, the morning group is smaller. Dogs and strollers are welcome, too. Bring a change of clothes, your ID, some $$$ and join us for a beverage and/or some food at 3 Crow Bar after the 6pm run! (Wednesdays are 2-for-1 at 3 Crow)
More about how it works…
- Wednesday morning – Check the blog for any updates and changes, and reacquaint yourself with that week’s route. Print out the route if you think you might get lost.
- 5:45 (sometimes a little earlier) – The Lasty Nasties start their run. The Lasties are our walk/run group that starts before the main group. If you typically run slower than 12 minutes per mile you should consider joining this group. Here is their Facebook page.
- As you are arriving, the map of the route for that night should be hanging on the porch of the yellow house.
- 6:07 – We begin announcements which should take about a minute or two.
- 6:10 – Greet someone new, and prepare for your run.
- 6:11 (ish) We don’t just start running en masse. We leave in groups, and someone will be starting those group from fastest to slowest – starting with under 7:30 pace, and going in 30 second increments (7:30 – 8:00, 8:00 – 8:30, etc…), with a short gap between groups. The last group is 10 minutes per mile and over.
- During the run safety is priority number one! We encourage you to run as hard as you want, but this is not a race. So, (1) run on the sidewalk as much as possible, (2) wear something that creates or reflects light, (3) be careful at intersections, don’t assume cars are going to stop, and (4) stop if one of your fellow runners needs help.
- There is nothing permanent scheduled for after the run, but bring a change of clothes (or not) – and head over to 3 Crow or one of the other local establishments for a drink and/or some dinner.
Safety: Please, do not run in the middle of the road! We are a large group and we want to be considerate of our East Nashville neighbors and community – and most importantly, we need to be safe. If we police ourselves, then we don’t have to worry about getting in trouble from the city. Always run against traffic as far to the left side of the road as possible – on the sidewalk if you can. Always wear reflective gear when it gets dark!
Parking: You can find street parking in and around 5 Points, but be mindful of fire hydrants, No Parking signs, and blocking in other cars. Do not park behind the YCAP building, the YCAP gym, or in the church lot in the alley. Both buildings host groups that meet on Wednesday evenings and we need to be respectful of their property and access to their vehicles. Always lock your vehicle and hide your valuables – don’t be an easy target.