We’ll be getting together for our second long run this weekend, January 11th and 12th.
Where: The Shelby Bottoms Nature Center ( Map)
When: Saturday and Sunday
See you all Saturday or Sunday! ENFL!
Happy New Year East Nasty! And with the new year its time to start up our annual Half and Full Marathon training! Join us Saturday and/or Sunday at 8 a.m. at the Shelby Bottoms Nature Center. The Saturday and Sunday workouts are exactly the same – just choose which day you prefer.
Saturday and/or Sunday
– 7:30 a.m. Marathoners
– 8 a.m. Half Marathoners
Shelby Bottoms Nature Center
– Standard plan – 7 miles
– Advanced plan – 10 miles
(Run 30 minutes out and back before meeting up with the Half Training group)
– Standard plan – 45 minutes
– Advanced plan – 60 minutes
Let’s be honest, we all are ready to pound some egg casserole after a cold, long run, am I right? Our first brunch of the year will be this SUNDAY at Rich and Polly Alexander‘s (904 North 14th Street, Nashville, TN 37206) at around 9:30am – immediately after the run. We just ask that you please bring something to share – sign up for something to contribute on the google doc here.
We all want to be better connected to the people around us, so come sit and eat with your fellow East Nasties! Plan on it lasting about an hour and a half, and come and go as you’d like.
Tips for Cold Weather Running
If you want to run in the cold, it’s best to dress in layers. The longer the run, the more likely you are to run until it’s warmer, too. If you’ve got layers, you can peel pieces off and retrieve them on the way back!
The rule of thumb is to dress like you’re going on a hike and it’s 20 degrees warmer. So when it’s 30 degrees out, dress like you’re going on a hike in the 50s. Personally, I’ll wear two layers on top and one layer on bottom, tights or maybe even shorts if it’s not very windy and not wet.
Some great items for cold weather running, even on a budget:
- Tights – CWX (long lasting, but not cheap), or budget tights – Target
- Socks make great mittens, who cares if they look weird (Swiftwick socks at least have rockin’ designs)
- Beanie – something insulated if it’s really really cold. I love a good NRC Beanie
- Fitted shirt as a base layer – then another shirt on top
See you all this weekend! ENFL!
You guys are ready to race! But here are some things to keep in mind over the next 24 hours:
1) Start hydrating now.
2) Eat something race morning, and if you normally drink coffee, drink coffee!
3) Take the shuttles from LP field, but arrive early, the lines for the buses are long, the lines to the port-a-johns are long, and that is one thing you want to take care of before the race.
4) Be conservative early. Don’t run slow…but DO NOT push the pace up to Belmont. You should probably be slower than your goal time at Belmont, why? Because that section of the race is almost entirely uphill. Slow down, keep your effort level stable, and make up the time on the downhills…
5) If you want to join our 1:45 or our 2:00 pace groups, here is the deal:Our 1:45 pace group will be in corral 3. Our 2:00 group will be in corral 8. You can either look for Steve and Sarah at the front of those corrals, or you can meet them by the funeral home (near the Rite Aid) at 6:40 in the morning.
6) Wear your East Nasty gear!
Here is fun stuff
7) After you finish your race, meet under the letter “E” in the family reunion area. There is also a new water stop going up at the 24 mile mark. That is right when you leave Shelby Park. I know that it is last minute, but if any of you are willing to swing by and help out, they could use the manpower. Especially late in the morning when the 4 hour runners are passing through.
8) Come to our post-race party to celebrate with your fellow East Nasties! Here is the information, including the address to Andy and Heidi’s house. Bring something to share, bring friends, bring family, everyone is welcome!
Have fun tomorrow! ENFL!
Wednesday Leap Day Run
We won’t have another leap year day on a Wednesday for about 28 more years! So come join us at the usual place, the usual time. 6 p.m. at the corner of 11th & Holly in East Nashville. This week we will be running Route #9: LP Field.
Thursday Night Workout
We are taking a 2 week break from our tempo running to do long hills! We will be running down to Shelby Park and up Sevier hill. The hill is about 1/2 mile, and should take people between 3 and 5 minutes to complete, then we will jog back down to recover. We will do either 6 repetitions or 20 minutes of hill climbing – whichever comes first. Meet up as usual at 6 p.m. at 11th & Holly.
Tom King Water Stop on Saturday March 10th
For the past 4 years East Nasty has worked the water stop for the Tom King 5k & 1/2 Marathon – the best water stop any race has ever seen. The Tom King is on March 10th this year and we are in charge of the same water stop again this year. The 5k is at 7:30 and the 1/2 marathon is at 8:00. We will be stationed on Davidson underneath the interstate which is the turn around on the 5k course and the 1 mile / 12 mile mark for the 1/2 marathon. It is a great location to be at and all we need is as many East Nasties as possible to be out there to hand out water and cheer on your fellow runners. The water, the cups and the music will all be provided so just show up with your favorite east nasty shirt on and ready to volunteer. This is really a fun event to be a part of and is one of the few times during the year that we ask you to give back. You can come and leave whenever you like but please plan on joining us out there. You can talk to Drew if you have any specific questions about the race and or water stop.
Funky Umbrella’s Wicked Amazing Super Party
Our good friend Kevin Kaz is having his second annual (hopefully annual) party this Friday night, March 2nd at 9pm at 3rd & Lindsley.
Here are some details from Kevin: Friday, March 2nd at 9pm at 3rd & Lindsley. 3 bands – Ryan Cavanaugh, Captain Midnight, Sky Hi. The format is the same as last year. 1st band is loaded with musical talent. Make it an early night if you have a long run in the morning. 2nd band is a wild card. A little different, but rocking. 3rd band is all about party time. For those that want to stay up late and boogie down. Our own Jones brothers will be emceeing the evening. Here’s a link to the Facebook Event Page: http://www.facebook.com/events/287067768022627/
New Orleans Half & Full Marathon
Be sure to wish good luck to all the Nasties heading down this weekend to run in the New Orleans Mardi Gras Half and Full Marathons! Let the good times run! ENFL!
Wednesday Night Run
The days are getting longer, the weather looks nice and warm – there is not a better way to spend Wednesday night than joining us for Run #8: Rick’s Market (Coldest Beer in Town). 6 p.m. at the corner of 11th and Holly in East Nashville. And please: learn the route and volunteer to lead a group!
Thursday Night Tempo
A lot of us are already beginning to feel the benefits of the Thursday night workouts. So if you are looking to run the half marathon, or if you just want to run in a faster group on Wednesdays, come join us Thursday. Same time, same place as Wednesday – although we do start on time on Thursdays 🙂
Novice: 20 minute tempo, Intermediate: 25 minute tempo, Advanced: 30 minute tempo.
Spring Half-Marathon / Marathon Shirt
Ordering for our Spring 2012 race shirts (full marathon, half marathon, & plain) will close after Wednesday night! You can get more info and order yours online over on the Shop page. These are the shirts that East Nasty will be wearing for the Country Music Half/Full and all other spring races. You can head over to Nashville Running Company to try one on to find the size that fits you best. Place your order today before you forget and miss out!
See you Wednesday night.