This week we continue our 12 week cycle with Route #2: ‘Round the Bird. Also known as ‘The Awkward Moment’ because this is a figure-8 route that crosses over itself. Be sure to high five each other as you cross!
We meet at the corner of 11th & Holly at 6pm. We run every Wednesday – rain or shine, hot or cold. You can READ HERE for more details on how our Wednesday night runs work. If you are a run/walker and/or want to get a head start, meet at 5:45pm and join our Lasty Nasty Group.
It gets pretty dark in parts of the park so remember to wear something that creates and reflects light. Safety is always our most important message. We share the roads and the park with walkers, cyclists, and cars – so, PLEASE, stay on the sidewalks or to the far left on the road, obey traffic signals and stop signs, and cross only in marked crosswalks.
And since we are back at the beginning of our cycle, this is a great opportunity for a refresher on how our runs work…
How It Works
We meet every Wednesday, year round, for a run at 6pm. This is our ‘main event’ and the best way to get plugged into the group. Rain or shine, hot or cold – we run. There is nothing to sign up to participate, no email list to join – just show up. We meet at the corner of 11th and Holly in East Nashville. We have 12 different runs (each one 3-6 miles) that we follow sequentially each week. There are usually around 100+ runners on any given Wednesday evening.
- Wednesday morning – Check this page for any updates and changes, and reacquaint yourself with that week’s route. Print out the route if you think you might get lost.
- As you are arriving, the map of the route for that night should be hanging on the porch of the yellow house.
- 5:45pm (5:30pm for routes #3 and #12) – The Lasty Nasties start their run. Lasty Nasty is our walk/run group that starts before the main group. If you typically run slower than 12 minutes per mile you should consider joining this group. Here is their Facebook page – it’s a great way to get connected to other run/walkers.
- 6:07pm – We begin announcements which should take about a minute or two.
- 6:10pm – Greet someone new, and prepare for your run.
- 6:11pm (ish) We don’t just start running en masse. We leave in pace groups, and someone will be starting those groups from fastest to slowest – starting usually with 7:30 and faster pace, and going in 30 second increments (7:30 – 8:00, 8:00 – 8:30, etc…), with a short gap between groups. The last group is 10 minutes per mile and over.
- During the run safety is priority number one! We encourage you to run as hard as you want, but this is not a race. So, (1) run on the sidewalk as much as possible, (2) wear something that creates or reflects light, (3) be careful at intersections, don’t assume cars are going to stop, and (4) stop if one of your fellow runners needs help.
- Post-run – There is nothing permanent scheduled for after the run, but there are often post run pint nights or other happenings. Bring a change of clothes (or not) and head over to 3 Crow or one of the other local establishments for a drink and/or some dinner. Of course, please be exceptionally nice to your servers and help our rep!
Parking: It’s getting more and more difficult to navigate traffic and parking in the 5 Points area with all the growth. You can find street parking in and around 5 Points, but be mindful of fire hydrants and street corners (30 feet minimum distance per the city), No Parking signs, construction areas, and blocking in other cars. Do not park behind the YCAP building (‘the yellow house’) or the YCAP gym – you will be towed! Always lock your vehicle and hide your valuables – don’t be an easy ticket or target.
Volunteer to clean the cups, get a chance to win 100 bucks!
Our 1st Quarter of 2019 Cup Cleaning Volunteer Sign Up and Raffle is open and we need volunteers!
Everyone that signs up for a week to clean the cups will be entered to win $100 gift card to Nashville Running Company. The more you volunteer, the more chances you get to win. We will draw a winner at the end of every quarter – so you have a 1-in-13 chance to win if you volunteer, a 2-in-13 chance if you volunteer twice, etc. Big thanks to Schaffer Law Firm for sponsoring this program! Here’s how it works: 1) Sign up on the Google doc. 2) Take the cups home. 3) Wash them. 4) Post a pic on social media showing you washed them and tag our Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. 5) Bring the cups back to the run the next week.
2019 Half and Full Marathon Training has begun!
It’s not too late to join our Half or Full Marathon Training! Get all the details and sign up on our Training page HERE then join us this Saturday morning at Nissan Stadium.