Each new year brings new people out to our Wednesday night runs, and I forget that it can be intimidating to show up at a run not knowing the procedures. Below is our “How it works” for Wednesday nights, which should help. But more important is you, our “regulars”. If someone looks lost, say “hi” and make sure they get going in the right direction with the right group.
How it works…
- Wednesday morning – Check the blog for any updates and changes, and reacquaint yourself with that week’s route. Print out the route if you think you might get lost.
- 5:45 (sometimes a little earlier) – The Lasty Nasties start their run. The Lasties are our walk/run group that starts before the main group. If you typically run slower than 12 minutes per mile you should consider joining this group. (Here is their Facebook page.)
- As you are arriving, the map of the route for that night should be hanging on the porch of the yellow house.
- 6:08 – We begin announcements which should take about a minute.
- 6:10 – Greet someone new, and prepare for your run.
- 6:11 (ish) We don’t just start running en masse. We leave in groups, and someone will be starting those group from fastest to slowest – starting with under 7:30 pace, and going in 30 second increments (7:30 – 8:00, 8:00 – 8:30, etc…), with a short gap between groups. The last group is 10 minutes per mile and over.
- During the run safety is priority number one! We encourage you to run as hard as you want, but this is not a race. So (1) run on the sidewalk as much as possible, (2) wear something that creates or reflects light, (3) be careful at intersections, don’t assume cars are going to stop, and (4)stop if one of your fellow runners needs help.
- There is nothing permanent scheduled for after the run, but bring a change of clothes (or not) – and head over to 3 Crow or one of the other local establishments for a drink and/or some dinner.
After the run…
NRC is hosting an informational session on Cold Laser Therapy. I know nothing about this, but there will be beer…
Our full/half marathon training is back at Shelby Park nature center. The marathon group meets at 7:30, the half group at 8:00.