Re-Nasty of the Week (Three-peat): THE Chuck Hargrove

As always we begin our year on the right foot and focus on the Honorable Chuck Hargrove. If you are somewhat new to our little running community, then perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the first two editions here and here .

Or, if you want his short biography, here you go: At Hillwood High School he was their first All City athlete, at Belmont University he pretty much jump started their running program to bring it to where it is today, and with East Nasty he has basically become both our spokes model and cover boy.

Hillwood Track and Field LEGEND!

Instead of doing my typical interview with Chuck this year though, I asked him to write up his own thoughts on 2010 and what we have to look forward to in 2011. Here is what he had to say.

~~~

Dear East Nasty Running Group,

As first ever East Nasty of the Week (ENOW)–and apparently now the first ENOW of each new year–I am honored to again receive this award. 2010 was a productive year for running and running related topics. May 2010 fellow East Nasty J.P. Cowan and I completed the Keys 50 Mile ultra in just under 12 hours.  Conditions were brutal with daytime temperatures in the  mid-80’s and heat index approaching 103.  A knowledgeable support crew is vital to ultramarathon success, so J.P. and I want to thank and recognize East Nasty Holland Carley and my childhood friend Nancy White. We could not have completed this race without them.

Many of you may know I speak with great admiration for my former high school and college teammates.  This summer I worked on a project with former Bellevue and Hillwood teammates.  In November we submitted paperwork to nominate our late coach, Doug Hall, to Metro Schools Athletic Hall of Fame.  Coach Hall is also namesake to the Doug Hall Relays, a prestigious local high school track meet. Mark Miller’s Christ Presbyterian Academy teams have competed at these Relays.

I was also honored to join some younger and much faster Belmont University alumni in a September college cross country season opener.  Despite injuries to some fast Belmont Alumni runners, we managed a fourth place team finish. This was my first time as teammates to join Belmont distance running legends, and East Nasties, Ryan Snellen and Kip Magut. By finishing fourth we extended my personal record over University of Memphis varsity cross country team to 2-0. My Belmont teammates and I defeated (then) Memphis State in 1983, and added an alumni win in 2010.

October I ran a personal record for 60K at Nashville Ultra.  However I could not repeat as overall male winner like I did in 2009. Nashville City Paper covered my fall running exploits in a flattering article, which you can read HERE.

I am very proud of other East Nasties who achieved road race personal records, first time marathon finishers, ultra marathon finishers and our first Couch to Tomato 5K group. Keep up the fantastic work and results.

Here we are, at New Year’s Day 2011.  East Nasty has some very exciting news including our official non-profit status, Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) certification, and our running programs.  Expect big things from our East Nasty Resolution to King 5K group, and our traditional winter East Nasty Country Music Half Marathon training groups.

Yours in running,

Chuck Hargrove

JP and Chuck at the end of a VERY LONG Road!

~~~

So there you have it East Nastys. Happy New Year and see you out there on Wednesday nights, Sunday mornings, Monday nights for the new Couch to 5Kers, or anywhere in between.

Rod Jones

11 Responses to Re-Nasty of the Week (Three-peat): THE Chuck Hargrove

1. Ashlee Tidwell says:

Awww, what a cute little young Chuck!

First photo was my seventh grade year running for Bellevue Junior High School. Event was mile run at Hillsboro High track, which has been changed from cinder to asphalt surface. If I recall my seventh grade season mile times were between 5:40 and 5:55. Fear the tube socks.

3. C... Young says:

If Mark is the ‘godfather’ then you’re ‘Tom Hagen’ – entrusted to protect the family. 😉

Thank you for all you do!! xoxo!! ENFL

4. Matt Alley says:

Salud!!

Chuck Hargrove, who can fill 18 miles, or 50 with conversation. Great times Chuck, looking forward to many years of it. Congrats on 3peat ENOW.

JP

J.P., thanks. That 50 miler was a struggle but rewarding. So glad we finished that beast of a run. Thankful, too, our photo above is not a scratch and sniff.

7. Will Arnold says:

Chuck, congratulations 3x! I love starting the year off with more Huck Chargrove facts.
    Let me know when it’s a “Tube Sock Wednesday” at East Nasty and I’ll be there fo sho.
    Thank you for always being uplifting – that makes every effort seem rewarding!

8. Holland says:

The man, the legend. I am honored to be your friend and have you encourage me through long runs even if I try to walk…all…the…time. I’ll be your support crew anytime and you earned a special place in my heart after the Keys and the new four and five letter words uttered =)

Will, one night we should host a 70’s retro run. Tube socks, Erik Estrada and his “Chips” roller disco crime fighting ways, perm hair, polyester running gear, satin shorts. Break out reruns of “Battle of the Network Stars” as a athletic gear reminder.

Holland: patience…of…a…saint, best ultra crew leader ever, and a brief appearance in Keys 100 recap video.

10. Jenny says:

Chuck, you are the face of Eastside running to many, myself included. Without having met you, I would not have met many of the incredible runners I am honored to call friends, and I would not have been able to enjoy countless of fun, grueling, hilarious, and wonderful adventures. Even before there was East Nasty, your efforts helped us Easties unite. I will miss you greatly – and even your tempura house jokes. 😉

Jenny, I shall miss you too. Best wishes in a new city and chapter of your life. As was the case with my high school and college teammates, I surrounded myself with quality people. That trend continues today with East Nasty.

If I told you how many people sang your praises, you would not leave Nashville. For someone so small and thin, you are the toughest and kindest runner I know.