East Nasty of the Week: Andy Moss

This week’s East Nasty of the Week comes to us all the way from Manchester. And by Manchester, I DO NOT mean the area just south of Nashville where Bonnaroo is held every year, no I am talking about the original Manchester, as in Manchester, England.

Andy grew up in and around the greater Manchester area until he joined the army at 19. He, of course, both played and followed the great sport of soccer, and has always cheered on his favorite team Manchester City, not to be mistaken with those other lame ducks over at Manchester United.

Like I said before, after graduating from secondary school (or as we call it “high school”) Andy joined the British Army. His enlistment allowed him to travel around the world, have a ton of adventures, and learn all about weapons and hand to hand combat. From his time in the British Armed Services, he was able to land a job at Fort Cheery Point in North Carolina, helping out with the U.S. Marines with basic training. From there he moved down to the Orlando and later the Ft. Meyer’s region of Florida. And that is where Andy took his skills from soccer and his military training and focused them onto running. From the start he was fast, finishing one of his first 5K’s in 16:16!!!

Through a mixture of consequences, Andy ended up in Tennessee. In both Franklin and Nashville, he played in some weekly competitive soccer matches. He position was almost always on offence, which he told me he liked to play “very aggressively!” Well that lead to some “problems,” especially when he would referee his fellow opponents later on, and call them for the same moves he pulled on them just days before. So he had to make a choice of whether to play or referee…and so he ended up taking the second route and enrolled in a class to certify him as a professional soccer referee. He now referee’s all the time, covering games from the “wee little ones” as he called them, to a semi-pro game last year and division II college soccer.

Even though he is on the “recovery list” right now, when he returns you can bet on a couple of things. First off, he will most likely run faster than you, seeing how he finished the Tom King half marathon this year in 1:29:48. Secondly, he can grow a better beard than you, as we were all witness to his magnificent 3-month beard this last winter. In fact, he plans to enter the 2010 Whiskerino competition this year!  And finally, to prove his dedication to East Nasty, check out his new tattoo.

Just remember, if Manchester’s contribution to the world of music is bands like Oasis, The Smiths, The Verve, New Order and Jamiroquai, then it’s equally important contribution to the world of running and East Nasty is Andy Moss!

Rod Jones

12 Responses to East Nasty of the Week: Andy Moss

1. Heidi says:

I’m so honored to be in the presence of such greatness!! Well done and very well deserved baby!

16:16?

Andy Moss, you are a maniac.

3. Joner says:

Congrats Andy! You are indeed a force to be reckoned with.

4. Jay says:

it was great running Tom King with you Andy even if I did loose sight of you after mile 7 haha! Congrats on the ENOW and I hope that hamstring heals quickly!!

5. Haven’t met Andy yet…could be because he’s way way ahead of me 😉 Congrats on being ENOW!

6. Casey says:

WOW! Another Naples/Ft. Myers to Nashville transplant! And glad to see their are more real football fans here. Mt hubby hosts football watching parties saturday/sunday mornings for the live games. He is a Chelsea fan, and his buddy is all about Arsneal (boo!), and unfortunatley I’m all Man U.

7. Mr. White says:

The man, the myth, the legend. Congrats on ENOW.

Andy, welcome to your newly earned and well deserved titlw: ENOW. See you tonight. Are you running Lynchburg?

9. Andy says:

A great and quite humbling honour.

Many thanks to all of you for the props and kind words of encouragement with the rceovery.

A truly nicer group of people I couldn’t find and consider myself very blessed to be a part of East Nasty.

And with my inking, I really am ENFL!

10. Cristina says:

Mr Andy… did you know I’m originally from Naples, FL. 🙂
    You should have looked me up… I could have driven my car next to you while you ran, SPEEDY!!!! 😉

11. […] we have all marveled at Andy Moss‘ running prowess, even as he approaches the mandatory FIFA retirement age.  Where does it […]

12. […] a quick shout out goes to Andy Moss who sent me pages of information on Heidi for this East Nasty of the Week. I always ask people if […]