In place of an ENOW…

Since the half-marathon is upon us and I am having stress dreams about showing up on Saturday with no laces in my shoes, there is no East Nasty of the Week this week.  But you didn’t think I would let a week go by without posting, did you?

So to begin, how about a little Chuck potpourri?

First off, check out this informative and helpful PowerPoint from Chuck Fogg.  He includes some nutritious recipes, as well as a bunch of stuff about enzymes that I didn’t really read.  It’s not that the information isn’t GOOD and TRUE – it’s more of a reflection on the fact that I am an imbecile.

Next, let’s hear it for our own Chuck Hargrove, who finished the Boston Marathon in 4:07!  If you want to see this Nasty in action, check him out at 9:16.

Or, if you prefer the photo version of Chuck, here are some still shots.  I feel compelled to include a quote from the man himself: “I am not playing with myself, ha ha.  I stashed the camera in my waistband, and spent much of race taking photos.”

Just so you know.

Finally, a few months back, I was talking to our fearless leader, Mark Miller, about training this group of runners.  He does not get paid.  It’s not his job.  And yet every week for the past 4 months, he has shown up and coached us.  He has faithfully planned routes.  He has provided challenges for the Fasty Nasties, and encouragement for the… well, the people like me.  And he does it because he loves it.

Lucky us.

Mark, we are all so grateful.  Thank you for being our coach, for all of the time and thought and effort you have put into this training season, and for being basically the coolest guy any of us know.  See you at the finish line.

Annie P.

9 Responses to In place of an ENOW…

1. Monika says:

Mark,

You’ve been so awesome! You even let posers like me who hardly are runners and aren’t even from East Nashville join your fine group each week (okay, okay – I don’t show up EVERY week). Thanks for putting up with my incessant questions and for getting us all out of bed at the wee hours of Sunday morning. It’s been a blast and a half, and we couldn’t have done it without you!

Monika

2. Jessie says:

Yay, Mark, and thanks so much!

3. Ryan says:

Thanks for your postings, Annie! You Rock! And thanks so much for what you’re doing here, Mark…I’m having an absolute blast and it’s all your fault!

4. Polly says:

Here, Here! Mark, thanks for coaching and mentoring us! Your words of wisdom and encouragement have really helped me grow as a runner these past few months. Annie – I look forward to your amusing banter and interesting take on our ENOW peeps…def a highlight of my week. Oh, and I love your hair BTW. 😉

5. Erin says:

Mark – best running coach EVER! 🙂

6. Alexis says:

Thanks for bringing all the Nasties together! This has been an incredible journey for all of us and I know I’m not speaking for myself when I say: we appreciate everything you’ve done!

7. Elizabeth says:

When I finish, I’m screaming “I LOVE MARK MILLER!!” at the top of my lungs. I’m not kidding. Wait for it. I’ve never been a runner. Never thought I would be. But I am at the very least now a jogger. And have a fine time doing it. Thanks for everything, Mark – and the rest of you Nasties. This group just basically kicks ass. Anybody up for Dragonboat this August??

8. Jay says:

Mark,

Thanks so much for all the effort and information you’ve shared with us. We have all truly benefited from your knowledge, encouragement, support and example! I’m looking forward to may years of East Nasty to come!!! Thank you!

J

9. Scott says:

Mark – you are the coolest guy i know…well…you are definately the coolest coach i know. You put the “cool” in “cool runner”. If you were a vegetable you would be a cucumber.
    A sincere thanks for all you do.