East Nasty of the Week: Meg Willoughby

Recently, while making my way through the giant dust bowl known as Bonnaroo this year, I bumped into this new East Nasty of the Week. Turns out it was her first time to the landmark festival in Manchester, TN, and I am not sure she will ever go back. Here are just five of the many things she learned while at the festival this year:

1) Porta-potties are the most disgusting invention of the last century.

2) Wanda Jackson is the coolest old lady EVER.

3) Hula-hoops are the new hacky-sacks and are a not appropriate in crowd situations.

4) If a single food vendor offers deep fried corndogs, spicy thai food and funnel cakes at the same location while flying an Italian flag, chances are the Health Department has not tested them lately.

5) Mumford and Sons is sponsored by Fruit of a Loom ribbed tanks.

Say hello to the one and only, Meg Willoughby!!!

On a hike in Utah

Meg was born just south of here, in Madison, Alabama, right outside of Huntsville. In her early years Meg was a bit of a swimmer, in fact, she may even still hold a couple of state records there. She also played soccer up through middle school, but by the time she got to high school she turned her focus to the arts. She not only created visual art, she also performed in the school plays and even travelled with a performance youth group across the country. Whenever she had some free time in her busy schedule, she would go to “calculus parties” (which I have no idea what those are,) practiced for band competitions, and even went to a couple “French conventions” (again, I have no idea what that is.) Although Meg refers to herself as a geek during those years, she at least knows that she was a cool geek.

After high school Meg decided to attend the Ringling College of Art and Design. YES, the college was created by the infamous Ringling Brothers, but do not worry, Meg did not attend any clown classes during her tenure at the school. She actually majored in graphic design and photography, and as she explained to me, most of her days at school were focused on drawing naked people and doing metal sculpture with a blow torch!

After college Meg moved up to Nashville and began working for the NFL, where she made websites. Later she worked for a major record label in town (rhymes with pony), and her job was to create CD packaging. Another part of Meg’s job was to photoshop some of the wrinkles, fat, and blemishes of the rising country stars. Now she works as a designer for a PR firm.

In 2008 Meg and her friend sat out and watched the runners of the Country Music Marathon. The next year she decided to captain a water stop, and she watched as her older sister ran the half marathon portion of the event. Inspired with the “well if she can, so can I” attitude, Meg set her sights on the 2010 Country Music Half, which she successfully completed. A couple of weeks later, with the running bug still a part of her, she joined East Nasty for a Wednesday night run. She credits her friend Becca Stinson as the reason she stuck with running and with East Nasty. Now she has completed 4 triathlons, 3 half marathons, the Ragnar Relay (with an East Nasty team), and she plans to complete her first full marathon in Huntsville at the Rocket City Marathon in December.

Meg cheering on fellow EN's at the 2010 Rocket City Marathon

In her free time now (besides trying to host calculus parties), she enjoys biking and hiking. She has a life goal of visiting all 58 National Parks…and a goal to never go to Bonnaroo again! Be sure to say hello to Megan this week, and leave a comment below.

Rod

About these ads

19 Responses to East Nasty of the Week: Meg Willoughby

I met Meg soon after Huntsville Rocket City Marathon. She took photos around mile 5 while I spent most of my time on back part of course. What a delightful women she is, and a deserving East Nasty of the Week.

2. Heidi W says:

YAY Meg! I had the pleasure of doing Ragnar with Meg, and even when her hand off buddy was a bit late (MICAH!), she was awesome. She is so deserving of this award. Not only is she a great runner and biker, but DAYUM, that girl is HI-LAR-IOUS! I’ll never look at Bonnaroo the same way again- Congrats Megan…

3. Cheytown says:

I call this person Meg Willough-Be All You Can Be, because for awhile there every time I saw Meg, she had her camelpak on and was puttin’ in work! Tough runner, that Meg! Congratulations!

4. Not to mention she designed the coolest bike kits that Nashville has seen, and will ever see (until she designs a new one, that is).

I <3 Meg Willoughby.

6. Lauren B. says:

megan is my best friend, and i am so proud of her all of the time! YAY MEG!

7. Crystal :) says:

Meg Kicks MAJOR BUTT – that’s why as she ran by in the Country Music Marathon, this song was playing. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BPdaputgAI

8. C... Young! says:

YAYAYA!!! Congrats Meg! well deserved ENOW… I know we keep saying that for ENOWs… but it truly is an honor so…. CONGRATS again! :-)

9. Kristine says:

Meg rocks and the bike kits are AWESOME! Congrats!

10. Will Arnold says:

Congratulations, Meg!

11. kevin kaz says:

Meg made my very first logo for Kaz Video! It’s fantastic!

12. Marianna says:

Yay! Congrats, Meg!

13. Holly says:

Meg was one of the first people that made me feel welcome at east nasty! Congrats Meg and thanks!

14. Will Arnold says:

She now has possession of many Beer Mile pics, so be nice to her, Andy and Phil!

15. becca stinson says:

I heart you, MWilloughby! And, for the record, the credit for sticking with EN and running should really be attributed to you and you alone… you are one dedicated athlete! :)

16. Sarah Willoughby says:

Glad I could be the source of your sibling rivalry… If I can do it, so can you! Now you’re beating me at my own game! Way to go Meg!

17. […] After college, Becca served one year in the AmeriCorps in Washington D.C., and then worked on one of the 2004 presidential campaign in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. When her candidate didn’t make it to the White House, Becca moved back to Nashville and landed a job as an account executive at a local PR firm, where she met fellow ENOW Meg Willoughby. […]

18. […] #2.  Thanks to Meg Willoughby for the great […]

19. […] down to Wilmington, NC to spectate his sister and Meg Willoughby compete in their first full ironman with a bunch of fellow East […]